Here’s a guide to my favourite restaurants in Johannesburg. Before I get into it, let me state my credentials: I’m an amateur chef of sorts and a “Super Foodie” according to Zomato, an app which I have written 80 food reviews for (and counting).
- Sushi: Fisherman’s Deli in Dunkheld is delicious and crammed with goodness. Huamin Chinese Takeaway and Sushi Bar in Greenside is by far the cheapest sushi you’ll find and its delicious too- go on Mondays, it’s half price!
- Seafood: Tsunami in Sandton is a cosy and ambient restaurant and has a memorable owner. If you’re looking to go all out, head to Koi in Rosebank. Everything about it is a memorable experience and will leave you wanting more. Be sure to try the dim sum, the special tea’s and the desserts. Fish Monger is another option, also pricey but absolutely worth it
- Italian: Piza è Vino (the one in Melville especially) and Doppio Zero (because what is life without their wing’s starter?) are solid favourites for me. You can count on each franchise to offer you a wide range of options that will leave you more than satisfied. If franchise’s aren’t your thing, step into the heavenly Il Giardino at 44 Stanley for the best gnocchi in the city.*An obvious choice: Jamie’s Italian in Melrose Arch. The foodie experience you’ve been dreaming about.
- Fast: You really can’t go wrong with RocoMama’s, with the best and most affordable burgers around. The most highly underrated and always gob-smackingly good is Mochachos! The Slug and Lettuce in Rivonia is also a great option
- Special Occasions: Pigalle in Melrose Arch is a fine dining experience that is absolute perfection
- Street: Soul Souvlaki in Maboneng (chicken wrap is affordable and to-die-for) and my all time favourite, Sumting Fresh at the Neighbour Goods Market. Never have I tasted better chicken. Ever
- Contemporary: Wolves in Illovo for a hipster retreat or Craft in Parkhurt for incredible milkshakes and my all time favourite salad (it had prawns and mango!)
- Deserts: On a search for the best and most affordable macaroons, I found it to be Camilla’s Macaroons in Melville
- Culture: Moyo, it’s an absolute must! Breakfast, lunch and/or dinner
- Date night: The fondue dessert platter and outside setting speak for themselves at Jenda, Monte Casino
Follow my foodie journey on Zomato. One restaurant that I absolutely cannot wait for? Jamie Oliver’s of course! It’s said to be opening in Melrose Arch soon.